I heard it most recently on my bestest show "Criminal Minds". The entertaining Dr Spencer Reid articulated that when you are in adolescence around ages 14-16 you formulate many of the likes, dislikes and preferences you will have and keep for the rest of your life.
Of course he was referring to the preferences, propensities and predilections of a certain serial killer in the episode, but nonetheless the truth remains.
So what did I like a a teenager? And I ask this as a way of determining where my interests and time is spent nowadays.
* I loved music (Gothic, Celtic mainly) yep- still do.
* I liked reading (love it even more now if that's even possible)
* I spent a lot of time walking around with my chums of an evening. Now I like to walk with my dog chums or daughter.
* Loved the theatre and drama. Now I like to be a viewer, not the actor I dreamed of being.
* I used to love modelling- hmmm too old and long in the tooth to care about that now. Back in the day I did lots of catwalk and photographic.
* Fiddling with my hairstyle- yep some things never change.
* Writing. I used to like writing medieval Gothic romances, now I like to blog.
* Always hated talking on the phone- yes, still do
* Liked late nights, still do- though I am no good at staying up anymore...but theoretically.
* I was never in a cliquey group, just had a few friends- same now. Urgh no parental grapevine group for me.
These are a few I can think of off the top of my head. In all honestly I don't think I have changed much. I am more angry about things now, more cynical and more sad about the world. All the self-help books in the world don't make me any more mindful, but in theory I keep trying. I dream of living with my people in a little wooden cabin away from civilsation (and yes I use this word very loosely). I don't like get togethers or dinner parties and I did used to like a social life...now I like a quiet at home life with the beings who I care about...I still dress the same, still love my animal print, fake fur and styles...
28 years may have passed since I was 15, but the teenager is still inside!
...and oh how I would have loved to be an actor...but I got the predictable trade instead.
Tell me, how different are you these days?